I make cucumber pickle many times throughout the year but it’s made in my house every few weeks during summer. It’s always one I make and hand out to friends and family, they love it! This year I started to experiment with new pickling spice and after many tests and feedback, this is the one that everyone loved.
- 900g thinly sliced unpeeled cucumber ( I use my processor with the slicing blade for this)
- 3 small onions thinly sliced
- 300g sugar
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 250ml cider vinegar
- 1 tsp coriander seed
- 2 tsp yellow mustard seed
- 1 tsp peppercorn
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- small bunch of fresh dill (You can also use dried dill)
- In a large bowl mix all the ingredients well.
- Keep covered for a few hours mixing every so often.
- Prepare jars, make sure they have been cleaned fully. You can use your dishwasher for this. They do not need to be sterilised in the oven.
- Fill the jars leaving a cm or two to put in the juices at the end!
- I got 6 300ml jars out of this.
- Put into the fridge, best made a good few hours in advance or the day before.
- This will keep for or up to a week in the refrigerator.