Classic Rhubarb Crumble
A really easy dessert and a fab way to enjoy Rhubarb when in season.
- 800g rhubarb
- 1 vanilla pod or ½ teaspoon vanilla paste
- 150g golden caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornflour
- 200g cold unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing
- 300g plain flour
- 100g golden caster sugar
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC/400ºF/gas 6.
- Grease an ovenproof dish with a little butter.
- Chop the rhubarb into 3cm pieces, halving any thicker pieces lengthways.
- Halve the vanilla pod lengthways, scrape out the seeds and toss with the rhubarb, sugar and cornflour. Add the rhubarb to the prepared dish.
- To make the crumble, cube the butter into small pieces, then toss with the flour.
- Use your fingertips to rub the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs with a few larger pieces of butter. (you can do this in your food processor by pulsing just don’t mix too much or it will all come together like a dough!)
- Stir in the sugar and 1 pinch of sea salt
- Tip the crumble mixture over the rhubarb without pressing down. Place on a baking tray to catch any drips, and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until golden and bubbling.
Serve with my gorgeous homemade custard.
See recipe for Custard Here