Tunisian Orange Syrup Cake
I often make this for my clients and they adore it. The feedback is always so positive!
2oz (50g breadcrumbs)
6oz (175g) caster sugar
3 1/2oz (100g) ground almonds (almond flour)
7fl oz (200ml) vegetable oil
zest of 1 large orange
zest 1/2 lemon
1 1/2 level teaspoons baking powder
juice of 1 orange
juice of 1/2 lemon
2oz (50g/) sugar
1 cinnamon stick
8-inch springform cake tin lined with greaseproof or silicone paper.
- Mix the breadcrumbs with the sugar, almonds, and baking powder.
- Whisk the oil with the eggs, pour into the dry ingredients and mix well. Add the orange and lemon zest.
- Pour the mixture into a greased and lined tin.
- Put into a cold oven, and set the heat to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4.
- Bake for 50/60 minutes or until the cake looks a rich golden brown. A skewer inserted into the centre should come out clean.
- Cool for 5 minutes in the tin before turning out onto a plate.
- Meanwhile, make the syrup
- Put all the ingredients into a saucepan, bring gently to the boil, stirring until the sugar has dissolved completely. Simmer for a few minutes.
- While the cake is still warm, pierce holes in the top of the cake with a skewer and spoon over the syrup, let it soak in and repeat until all the syrup is gone. Leave to cool.
One can remove the cinnamon sticks but I like to leave them on top of the cake.
Serve with whipped cream