This is one of my favourite brunch dishes, so full of flavour and a definite showstopper bringing it to the table!
- 50ml olive oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoon smoked paprika to taste
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 1 x 400g (14oz) tins tomatoes, chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 free-range eggs, organic if possible.
- 50g (2oz) feta, crumbled
- A big bunch of coriander leaves, coarsely chopped
- extra virgin olive oil
- Cook this in an ovenproof pan as you will be putting it into the oven at the end. I have a paella pan that I use but an ovenproof frying pan also works perfectly well
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6.
- Add the olive oil to a pan and cook onions and pepper until soft (about 10 min) cook until soft. Add the chilli flakes, cumin, turmeric and paprika and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in chopped tomatoes and cook for another 5 minutes then add the tinned tomatoes and a tsp of sugar.
- Bring to the boil, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for around 20-25 minutes until the sauce is nice and thick.
- Take a spoon and hollow out little wells in the surface of the sauce to crack eggs into Careful not to break the yolks, use a spoon to gently bury the egg whites under the sauce but leave the yolks on show.
- Crumble the feta over the top except over the yolks. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and pop into the preheated oven.
- Depending on how you like your eggs this can take anything between 7/10 minutes.
- Check to make sure egg white fully cooked and if the yolk is cooked to your liking.
- Sprinkle with lots of coriander and drizzle with a little more extra virgin olive oil and serve with some delicious bread of your choice
Now dig in and enjoy!! Yum yum!