Baked Sausage Beans and Egg in a Tomato sauce
I saw this recipe on the Bord Bia Website and with a few of my own changes, I pulled together this delicious dish. What a perfect Sunday brunch idea.
- 3 – 4 large eggs
- 6- 8 Good quality pork sausages
- Rapeseed or olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 tsp. of smoked paprika
- 1 x 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 teasp. tomato purée
- A pinch of sugar
- 1 x 400g tin of butter beans, rinsed and drained
- Large handful of Spinach
- A good handful of basil leaves, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 6, 180°C (350°F).
- Firstly cook the sausages in the oven for about 15 minutes until cooked. While the sausages are cooking heat a little oil in a large ovenproof frying pan/skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onion and fry for 2-3 minutes. Then stir in the garlic, chilli and smoked paprika and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add in the tin of tomatoes, the tomato purée and a pinch of sugar. Stir and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the beans and stir them through the mixture. Add spinach and basil and let wilt into the mixture.
- Taste and season with a little salt and black pepper.
- Cut up the cooked sausages and stir through the mixture.
- Place in the preheated oven and bake for 112-15 minutes until the eggs are set.
- When cooked remove from the oven and serve with some fresh crusty bread