ROAST CHICKEN, WITH ARTICHOKES, CHORIZO AND RICE
A little different to the normal Irish roast chicken dinner, this is more of a Mediterranean taste and will set your tastebuds off!
- Whole Organic (if possible) free-range chicken (jointed into 8 pieces, your butcher will do this for you if you don’t want to do it yourself). Keep the skin on.
- 300g organic artichokes in oil (You can get these in most good health shops or delis) (Drain the oil and use it for salads or cooking for extra taste!)
- 1 onion
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 150g good quality raw chorizo sausage, peeled and diced
- 350g brown rice
- 150ml dry white wine (get a nice one so you can enjoy the remainder with dinner!)
- 600ml chicken stock ( I make my own using the carcass of the chicken I’ve jointed however you can get really good chicken stock from local suppliers or delis)
- 200g spinach leaves
- Fresh thyme (remove leaves from stalks)
- Fresh parsley (chopped)
- Sea salt and cracked pepper for seasoning
- To begin with brine your chicken, this step is not necessary but it definitely makes the chicken moist when cooking. I do mine for about 5 or 6 hours prior to jointing. If you get your chicken already jointed look up timings on brining as they differ. As I say, this is not necessary for this dish but its a preference for me when I cook with poultry
- Preheat oven at 160°C
- In your casserole dish use some a tablespoon of the oil from the artichokes on medium heat.
- Place in chicken skin side down and brown on each side for a few minutes
- Remove chicken from pan to a bowl and set aside.
- Add another tablespoon of artichoke oil to the pan
- Tip in chopped chorizo, onion and garlic and saute for 4 or 5 min.
- Add in brown rice and thyme leaves and mix through for a minute or two until all grains are fully coated
- Add in wine and stock and fold in artichokes. Place chicken back in pushing down into the rice.
Cook for 1 hour in the preheated oven until all juices are soaked up into the rice.
Sprinkle with fresh parsley and serve
Enjoy with a nice glass of dry white wine!