Rhubarb and Ginger Compote
Rhubarb and ginger Compote
I love this with yoghurt and granola or on my porridge or with icecream for a dessert.
Ok so you can go and buy stemmed ginger for this but I like to make my own as you can store it in a jar for up to a year and add to different recipes, gorgeous for cakes :). See my recipe for stemmed ginger
To make the Rhubarb and Ginger Compote
- 700g rhubarb, chopped
- 500g jam sugar
- 30g stemmed Ginger (or one tbsp grated fresh ginger)
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- Place the chopped rhubarb, sugar, juice of 1 lemon and ginger in a large pan, toss well and leave to marinate for 2 hours. You will see after 2 hours, juices have been released.
- Place the pan over medium heat and stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- Then reduce the heat to low, and continue to cook for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool completely.
- ladle the jam into sterilised jars.
- To sterilise your jars, give them a good wash first then put the jars in a preheated oven at 60C and put the lids in boiling water for about 10 min.
A jam funnel is a great kitchen utensil to use for this recipe!