You can buy this but it’s so easy to make and great to have in your pantry!
- 325 g fresh ginger root
- 300g sugar
- Water to cover the ginger
- 150 ml ginger cooking water
- Peel the ginger and cut it into 2 cm thick slices.
- Add the ginger to a pan and cover (by a couple of centimetres) with water. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for about an hour until nice and tender.
- Lift out the tender ginger pieces and set them to one side while you make syrup.
- Measure the cooking liquid and add 150ml back to your pan along with the sugar.
- Return to a gentle heat and stir to dissolve the sugar – once the sugar has dissolved stop stirring.
- Bring to a boil and simmer gently for about 15 to 20 minutes until you have a nice thick syrup.
- Add the cooked ginger back to the pan and simmer gently for 20 minutes before transferring ginger and syrup into a sterilised jar and sealing.
- Store in a cool, dry place for up to a year.