Christmas Meringue Wreath
I love meringue and you can have this all year round but it can be gorgeous to display on the table for dessert.
You can make this a few days in advance and then decorate on the day.
Make the meringue with
- 5 egg whites, as fresh as possible and preferably free-range
- 300g (10oz) castor sugar
- 600ml (1 pint) whipped cream
- pomegranate seeds (approx. half)
- Mint leaves
- Flat baking tray
- Parchment paper
- Preheat the oven to 150°C/300°F/Mark 2.
- Make the meringue. Check that the bowl is dry, spotlessly clean and free of grease or any residue. Mix all the sugar with the egg whites at once and whisk in a food mixer until the mixture forms stiff dry peaks.
- Draw a circle of 25cm (10 inches) on the parchment paper.
- Fill a piping bags with the meringue, use either a large plain or large star nozzle. Pipe 10 large blobs of meringue side by side (touching) onto the circle to form a wreath.
- If you don’t have a piping bag just spoon on blobs around the circle keeping it as even as possible and joined together.
- Bake immediately in a cool oven, fan 120°C /150°C/300°F/Mark 2 for 1 hour or 1
- hour 10 mins or until crisp and the meringue will lift. Turn off the oven and allow to
- Cool in oven. Do not take out until fully cool!! Sometimes I just leave it in there overnight.
- To serve, carefully slide the meringue off the parchment onto a large serving plate.
- Spoon a generous blob of whipped cream on top of each meringue blob.
- Decorate with your fruit of choice and mint leaves. Also, you can sprinkle icing sugar over the leaves first through a sieve if you want that extra Christmassy effect!”