Red Lentil Dahl with Potato, Mangetout and Spinach
Red Lentil Dahl with Potato, Mangetout and Spinach served with Cucumber Riata
I Love, Love, Love a good Dahl recipe and this one is up there with the best!
- 225g (8ozs) orange/red lentils
- 400ml (14fl oz) can of coconut milk plus 200ml (10fl oz) water
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon garam masala (or curry powder if you don’t have garam masala)
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 Tin/400g Chopped tomatoes
- Large bunch Spinach
- 2 large potatoes chopped to small bite sizes
- Mangetout or green beans
- Large bunch spinach
- 2 small onions, sliced and sautéed until golden
- Chopped fresh coriander
- Red Chilli
- Fresh Lime
- 1/4 medium-sized cucumber
- a pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves, or 1/2
- 150ml (5fl oz/generous 1/2 cup) plain yoghurt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Wash the lentils well drain and put in a heavy saucepan with the coconut milk and water, add the turmeric, bring to the boil and simmer for about 20 minutes by which time the lentils will be soft.
- Put the potatoes in a pan in cold water with some salt bring to boil and simmer for about 10 min, drain and put aside.
- Sautee onion and put aside.
- Heat the rest of oil, add cumin seeds, fry for 10 seconds and turn off the heat. Add the cayenne and ground coriander, mix in the tomatoes and cook for 5 min on low.
- Blanche the mangetout/green beans
- Add salt, lemon juice and garam masala to the lentils and mix through.
- Pour tomato mix over the cooked lentils. Mix well
- Mix through mangetout/green beans and potato.
- Mix in the spinach in a few batches until wilted through.
For the cucumber and Yoghurt Raita
- Slice the cucumber in half lengthways and remove seeds with a spoon.
- Grate remainder into a bowl,
- mix with yoghurt and cumin
Serve up in a bowl, top with sauteed onions, coriander and red chilli. Add a spoon of raita and a ¼ lime.