The Quiche has come a long way over the years from the basic quiche lorraine to more adventurous fillings.
I mix and match different fillings. This one is really delicious and flavoursome. The ingredients are for a 12-inch size. If making a smaller one then just calculate the ingredients you will need.
I make my own pastry but by all means, you can just use pre-made shortcrust pastry.
For the filling:
- 100g soft cheese
- 3 large eggs
- 350ml milk/cream – I do half and half
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 onion, sliced
- Small Roma tomatoes cut into quarters
- Spinach wilted
- Finely grated manchego cheese
- 1 tsp smoked paprika (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the pastry:
- 285g/10oz plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 145g/5oz butter cut into cubes
You will need a 12-inch flan dish/pie dish (I used a ceramic pie dish for this as I wanted to serve it in this) If using a flan dish make sure it has a removable bottom.
- First, make the pastry: tip the flour into a large mixing bowl. Add the butter and rub in gently with fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add 3 tablespoons of cold water until the pastry comes together in a ball.
- I use my food processor for making pastry, it’s very simple and time-efficient.
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface and use it to line the dish
- Chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 180˚C.
- Prick the pastry case all over with a fork, to prevent air bubbles from forming during baking. Line the base and sides with baking parchment and weigh it down with baking beans.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove the beans, brush pastry with egg wash and cook for a further 5 min until the base is lightly browned.
- Saute the onions until lightly browned
- Wilt the spinach
- Place the cut tomatoes, onions and spinach on top of the pastry and grate in the manchego cheese.
- In a bowl, mix the eggs, cream, milk, smoked paprika, salt and pepper, then pour into the quiche.
- Bake for 35 minutes until golden and just set.
- Check the centre with a skewer or knife to make sure fully cooked.
- Let sit for 10/15 min before serving.
Serve with a nice green side salad