Courgette (Zucchini) and Potato Cakes with Mint and Feta
Courgette Potato Cakes
- 3 medium courgettes (weighing about 12oz/350 g in total)
- 2 medium Desirée potatoes (weighing about 12oz/350 g in total)
- 2tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 8oz (225g) feta, crumbled
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 1 oz (25 g) butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- You will need two baking trays, each measuring 10 x 14 inches (25.5 x 35 cm).
- First, you need to grate the courgettes coarsely – a food processor is good for this – and put them into a colander.
- Then sprinkle them with 2 level teaspoons of salt to draw out some of their excess moisture and leave them to drain for about an hour, with a plate or bowl underneath to catch the juices.
- Meanwhile, scrub the potatoes and place them in a very large saucepan, with a little salt. Pour just enough boiling water over them to cover them, then simmer gently with a lid on for 8 minutes to parboil them. After that, drain them and leave them aside until they’re cool enough to handle. Then peel them and, using the coarse side of a grater, grate them into a large bowl and season with more salt and some freshly milled black pepper.
- When the hour is up, rinse the courgettes under cold, running water, squeeze out as much moisture as possible with your hands, then spread them out on a clean cloth and roll it up to wring out every last drop – this is very important, so the cakes are not wet.
- Now, add the courgettes to the grated potatoes, along with the spring onions, mint, feta and beaten eggs and, using two forks, lightly toss it all together.
- Next, divide the mixture into 8 and shape it into rounds about ½ inch (1 cm) thick, pressing them firmly together to form little cakes. They don’t have to be very neat – it’s nice to have a few jagged edges. Then lightly dust the cakes with flour.
- To cook them, first pre-heat the oven to gas mark 7, 425°F (220°C) and also pre-heat the baking trays.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter and oil in a small saucepan, then brush the cakes on both sides with it.
- When the oven is up to heat, place the cakes on the trays, returning one to the top shelf and the other to the middle shelf for 15 minutes.
- After that, carefully turn the cakes over, using a palette knife and a fork, swap the positions of the trays in the oven and cook them for a further 10-15 minutes.