Fresh Coleslaw with Samphire
Now, who doesn’t love a crunchy tasty slaw especially in summer bbq season! There are a lot of variations of coleslaw.
My coleslaw is fresh and tasty with homemade mayonnaise
- ½ White cabbage shredded
- 3 carrots grated
- 2 celery sticks very finely sliced
- 2 apples, peeled cored and chopped into matchstick slices
- Bunch samphire
- Chopped flatleaf parsley
Mayo (You can use store-bought mayo but this is so easy and well worth trying)
- 2 egg yolks
- Pinch salt
- A teaspoon of mustard (you can use less but I like the flavour of the mustard coming through for the coleslaw)
- Desert spoon of white wine vinegar
- 200ml sunflower oil 25 ml olive oil
- To make the mayo put egg yolks, salt, mustard and vinegar in a bowl. (you can also use your food processor for this) Whisk together
- Put the oils into a jug. The key to a good mayonnaise is the pouring of the oil.
- Slowly drip feed the oil into the bowl while whisking all the time. If using your food processor then have it turned on low and slowly drip feed through the tube.
- The mixture will start to thicken and you can add your oils a bit faster at this stage but don’t go too fast or the mixture will curdle.
- Within a few minutes, you will have delicious mayonnaise!
- Put all dry ingredients in a bowl, mix well. Add in the mayo and combine well.
- Taste for seasoning to your liking.
*if the mayo mixture curdles (looks quite runny and oil has separated) add another egg yolk and mix in, then go back to adding the oil very slowly.
Serve up and enjoy.