Wild Garlic and Rosemary Soda Bread
Just like the white soda bread, this bread which is seasonal is so delicious. Just add some butter or serve with a salad, some beautiful cheese, topped with a poached egg or add some wild garlic pesto for that extra garlic flavour. The list goes on!!
Ok, so you will need a big size baking bowl to be able to get your hands in to mix the ingredients.
Preheat your oven to 230℃/450℉/Gar mark 8
- Large bunch of wild garlic
- Bunch of rosemary finely chopped
- 450g plain white flour
- 1 level teaspoon of salt
- 1 level teaspoon bread soda
- 400ml buttermilk (Try getting a good quality one, it makes a difference!)
*Important: The amount of bread soda really does make a difference so please ensure it is one level teaspoon, too much can change the taste of the bread!
- Sieve all your dry ingredients into the bowl.
- Add the chopped rosemary.
- In your blender, blend ¼ of the buttermilk (100ml) with the wild garlic until all combined.
- Add to flour with most of the remaining buttermilk (leave about 50ml)
- Hold the bowl with one hand and use the other hand like a claw bringing the ingredients together from the outside into the centre in circular motions without overworking it. If it’s still too dry, add the remainder of the buttermilk. The dough does not need to be smooth but should be softish and not too wet or sticky.
- Once it’s all come together, take the remaining dough on your fingers into the bowl then turn it out onto a floured surface. It will be a lovely green colour.
- Wash and dry your hands completely!
- Tidy it up and flip over gently. Shape it into a round 1.5-2 inch deep and put onto a floured baking tray
- Get a knife and cut a cross on it, ensuring lines of the cross reach each side of the bread. In each square of the cross put the tip of your knife and twist slightly, we call this letting the fairies out!
- That’s it! Into the oven at that temp for 15 minutes and then turn down to 200℃/400℉/Gas mark 6 for 30 min.
- After 30 min take it out. It should be a lovely golden brown, tap the bottom, it should sound hollow. If not, put it back in the oven upside down for 5 min!
- Rest for 15/30 min on a wire rack then cut and enjoy!